7 Bad Habits to Avoid to Keep Your Smile Healthy and Beautiful
May 4, 2019
We all know that brushing our teeth in the morning and at night (as well as daily flossing) is vital to our oral health. However, there are plenty of other activities you can do that are helpful in preserving the beauty of your smile.
Beyond Brushing and Flossing
If you’re looking to make your smile last a lifetime, be sure to follow these seven tips:
- Reduce or avoid the number of dark liquids you consume. Since teeth are porous, drinks like coffee, tea, and wine stain teeth. When you do enjoy these beverages, use a straw. Doing this will keep your teeth from being saturated with the dark pigments.
- Add another brushing after eating sweets. Sugar feeds oral bacteria and is the leading contributor to tooth decay.
- If you drink citrus juices or sodas, rinse with water after, but don’t brush right away. Instead, wait 30 minutes. Since acids disrupt the enamel of teeth, some of this essential material can be wiped away if brushed too soon.
- Don’t snack after bedtime brushing. When you eat just before falling asleep, the bacteria in your mouth feed on leftover debris and have all night to create plaque.
- Limit the intake of potato chips, pretzels, or any foods high in simple carbohydrates. Brush after eating these snacks, as they stick on teeth and are sugar in disguise.
- Using your teeth as tools is a no-no; they are meant to chew edible items, not open bottles or packaging. Protect your teeth further by wearing a mouth guard when riding a bike or playing sports.
- Don’t skip your routine dental appointments. These visits are vital to keeping your smile healthy and preventing dental emergencies. Missing an exam can also mean extensive treatment for periodontitis, a condition that can lead to tooth loss and overall health issues.
The team at Bayside Dental & Orthodontics cares about your smile. Call us today to schedule an exam and cleaning or to learn more about ways we can help you enhance your oral health.